If you need assistance...
During normal business hours (Monday through Friday 7:00am to 3:30pm) call 219-853-6413, Ext. 637, and provide the following information: full name, address, phone number and a description of the problem.
After hours call 219-853-6405, Option 1, and provide the following information: full name, address, phone number and a description of the problem.
We have personnel on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to respond to problems.
The HSD Sewer Maintenance Department is responsible for cleaning and repairing approximately 400 miles of Hammond sewers. The system is a mixture of sanitary, storm and combined sewers ranging in diameter from 8 inches to 129 inches. There are approximately 5,000 manholes, 12,000 drainage structures, and 70 regulating chambers. In an effort to help residents better understand who to call when they have a question or problem we have included the following list outlining the Sewer Department’s responsibilities. Although we may not be able to solve all problems, we help guide residents to the person or department who can help them.
What We Do
- Repair cave-ins of city owned sewer mains and related structures.
- Repair, rebuild, replace and or install basin, drains, manhole structures and tiles.
- Respond to standing water complaints and take care of the problem if it applies to one of our structures.
- Assist other city departments when requested.
- Assist Town of Munster by providing emergency services after our citizens needs are met. Town of Munster will provide the same service for us.
- Locate city owned infrastructure, Call before you dig 811.
Although we may not be able to solve all problems, we help guide residents to the person or department who can help them.
What We Don’t Do
- Repair cave-ins of basins, drains, and their tiles on a State Highway. To report a problem on a State Highway, call 219-939-3900. State highways in Hammond include: Calumet Ave. & Indianapolis Blvd.
- Address spills or odor complaints. These are handled by the Pretreatment Dept. of the Hammond Sanitary District. Call Jeff Massey, Pretreatment Coordinator 219-853-6412 – Ext. 524.
- Any plumbing inspections (tap-ins) for residents or contractors These are handled by the Plumbing Inspector 219-853-6316.
- Problems with Pumping Stations, lakes or streams are handled by the Collection System supervisor, Jose Porras 219-853-6624.
- Locate residential and commercial sewer lines, or repair or rod internal plumbing & lateral lines
- Sewer User Fees – handled by Sanitary District
- Streets in apartment complexes – handled by the management of the complex, except for Columbia Center & Turner Park.
- Alley ponding & garage flooding due to elevation of alley – handled by the Hammond Street Dept/Engineer’s Office at 219-853-6336.
- Sump Pumps – handled by the Sanitary District.
- Valve Box/Covers – handled by Water Department at 219-853-6421.
In an effort to help residents better understand the causes of basement flooding and sewer back-ups, the Hammond Sewer Department has compiled an on-line version of their Property Owner’s Guide to Floodproofing. If you would like a printed copy of the Guide, please call 219-853-6405 ext. 3 and request that one be mailed to you.
Problems on a State Highway?To report a problem on a State Highway, call 219-939-3900. State highways in Hammond including Calumet Ave. & Indianapolis Blvd.
John Smith, Superintendent
219-853-6413, Ext. 635